Continued Professional Development (CPD) is essentially the way in which you maintain and improve your skills, knowledge and understanding; which will ultimately affect how you assess learners. Whilst one of the best ways to do this is by attending courses or gaining additional Assessor qualifications, there are lots of other ways you can keep your CPD up to date. It is important that you take responsibility for the aspects that you know you need to work on and improve.
Role Of An IQA
The role of an IQA involves observing Assessor performance and providing feedback; sampling assessment records and decisions; and facilitating the standardisation of practice. Therefore it is important that an IQA is up to date with the latest developments in their industry, as well as apprenticeship standards too. If you are not aware of a new legislation that has come into force, for example, you may question a decision an Assessor has made with regards to an assessment.
Choosing The Right CPD
There is no point in engaging in CPD just for the sake of it, you need to ask yourself the following questions first:
- What activity can I undertake which will have the most positive impact on my role?
- How will the activity benefit me professionally and personally?
- How will it benefit the organisation I work in?
- What will my impact be on learners or other Assessors?
You also need to consider how much time you have available for CPD, and how this is going to fit in around your current commitments. Your employer may even provide funding towards it, so that is always worth checking before signing up too.
Examples of CPD
When most people think of CPD, they see this as studying and gaining more qualifications. This isn’t always the case though, as even something as simple as a newly-qualified Assessor shadowing someone more experienced could be added to your CPD record. Here are some other generic activities that could count towards your CPD:
- Attending meetings and standardisation activities
- Collaborative working and sharing ideas with colleagues
- Evaluating feedback from peers and learners
- Mentoring and coaching new members of staff
- Networking (both online and in person)
- Updating your English, Maths and Digital skills
If you would like to speak with one of the team at Brooks and Kirk to find out more about how you can keep your CPD up to date as an IQA, we would be more than happy to help. Drop us an email on email@example.com.