What does an End-Point Assessment involve?

An End-Point Assessment involves a variety of assessment methods; each of which will be one-off assessments. Generally speaking, most End-Point Assessments involve 2 or 3 of these assessments.

But as for the EPAs you could be delivering… Well, the answer to that question could be different for each and every apprenticeship.


What does an End-Point Assessment involve?

See the thing is, the End-Point Assessment is different for each Apprenticeship Standard. So to provide you with a more detailed answer to the question, “What does an End-Point Assessment involve?“, you need to identify the Apprenticeships you would be competent to assess in. Once you know which Apprenticeships you are interested in becoming an Independent End-Point Assessor (IEPA) for, you can have a look at the EPA holy grail, the ‘Assessment Plan’.

Assessment Plans

For those of you who already have experience in assessment, this isn’t an assessment plan as you know it. In the context of EPA, the Assessment Plan is more like a specification for a qualification. It covers everything that the relevant End-Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO) needs to know about an EPA to deliver it. But most importantly, for you as a prospective IEPA, the Assessment Plan details what assessment methods are used and what the requirements are for each. 

Just in case you are curious, we tell you where to find an assessment plan in our EPA Knowledgebase.

Here’s a bit of an End-Point Assessment taster for you; below are a few Apprenticeship Standards along with what their EPA’s involve.

The Level 3 Business Administration EPA involves a:

  • 60 minute Multiple Choice Test
  • 30-45 minute Portfolio-based Interview
  • 20-30 minute Presentation

However, the Level 4 Children, Young People & Families Practitioner EPA involves a:

  • 80 – 90 minute Observation of Practice
  • 55 – 60 minute Competence Interview

Whilst, the Level 2 Autocare Technician EPA on the other hand, involves:

  • 2 x Knowledge Assessments
    • 1 x 60 minute Multiple Choice Questions
    • 1 x 45 minute Alternate Format Questions
  • a one day Practical Observation (with pre-set tasks)
  • a 60 minute Professional Review (structured discussion)

So as you can see, there’s no ‘one size fits all’ answer.

Weighting

We’re not going to go into too much detail on weighting in this post, but it’s good to know the basics.

Each assessment within the EPA counts for a certain percentage of the overall grade. So for example, a written exam may count for 30% of the overall grade, whilst an observation may make up the remaining 70%. This is important to know because even though there may be 3 or 4 assessments involved in an EPA, some will carry more weight than others.

All that being said, the apprentice must still achieve a pass on every assessment in order to pass their Apprenticeship.


Do you still have more EPA questions? Not a problem, our EPA Knoweldgebase should have you covered!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *