The role of an assessor is to observe learners in their workplace, provide support and guidance by collecting evidence, assessing their abilities and enabling them to gain their desired qualifications.
As an NVQ assessor you would expected to perform the following tasks:
- plan and deliver NVQ training programmes and workshops
- observe and assess candidates in their workplace
- examine candidates’ portfolios of evidence
- question candidates about how they would deal with non-standard situations
- provide feedback and offer advice if the standards are not met
- sign off the NVQ when all the requirements have been met
- keep records of candidates’ progress, according to the requirements of the NVQ awarding bodies
- attend meetings with other assessors
- work closely with training staff and candidates’ line managers.
All assessors should be occupationally competent and have expertise in the fields in which they want to assess.
Being an Assessor you are the main point of contact for your learner and you will develop a strong working relationship, for many people this is one of the best parts of the job.